Thursday, December 8, 2011

What would a psychiatrist consider an "immediate danger to oneself"?

I'm just curious. I'm going to see a psychiatrist for the first time on Friday and I want to be honest but I don't want to be hospitalized. My honesty would include a long history with drugs/alcohol, years of self-injury and eating disordered behavior and the fact that I am constantly suicidal - to the point where I think about it quite often and plan it out in my head over and over. What is considered an "immediate danger to oneself" and what are the likely outcomes of tell him these things?|||its almost impossible to get yourself hospitalized nowadays tell him the truth then he can help|||Well, the question should really be, is it such a bad thing if he hospitalizes you?


If these are the feelings you are having, a short hospital stay for a few days where they gives you meds and monitor you and get you stable might do you good.


If your psychiatrist feels you are an immediate danger to yourself he is going to have you committed but it's generally not long. You're usually only there for a few days, however long they feel until you are doing better.|||You've got to help yourself. This is your chance to find peace and happiness. There are several issues that need to be addressed and the psychiatrist will do what is best for you. He's on your side.

No comments:

Post a Comment